March 12, 2019
Preparing Soils for Specialty Crop Planting
Noble Research Institute
Small-Scale Agriculture Demonstration Area
2510 Sam Noble Parkway
Ardmore, OK 73401
1 pm - 4 pm
There is no fee for this event.
Level 1: Essentials
This event will showcase techniques used to improve soil and prepare for planting fruit and vegetable crops on both a large and small scale. You will have the opportunity to see various tillage, bedding and mulch-laying equipment in action.
Procedures to be demonstrated include: primary tillage, secondary tillage, seed bed preparation, bed construction and plastic mulch application.
What You Will Learn:
- How to improve soil tillage for better nutrient availability and water holding capacity
- The difference between different types of tillage and how they are used
- How cover crops can be used for soil improvement
- The advantages associated with fruit and vegetable production using plasticulture
- Various tools and techniques available for preparing soil, including bedding and mulch-laying equipment
How You Will Learn:
- Hands-on demonstration
- In-field discussion
Who Should Attend:
- Market gardeners
- Commercial and hobby fruit growers
What You Should Bring:
- Soil test results
- So You Want to Grow Fruit?
- So You Want to Grow Vegetables?
- Establishing Vegetable and Fruit Crops