August 24, 2020
Preconditioning Calves for Success: Part 1
2 pm - 4 pm
There is no registration fee for this event, but you must preregister prior to the event for meeting details.
Understanding the impacts of stress on the weaned calf will help you strategically develop a preconditioning program suited for your operation and goals. Having a preconditioning program is a necessary component for your cattle to perform successfully after weaning and after leaving the ranch.
During this session, we will address measures to take pre-weaning to ensure a successful preconditioning period as well as vaccination strategies and considerations.
What You Will Learn:
- How pre-weaning calf management influences your preconditioning success
- The impacts of weaning stress on timing of vaccination and general health management
How You Will Learn:
- Online seminar presentations
Who Should Attend:
- Cow-calf producers of any size who precondition their calves before marketing
- “Nutrition and Management Considerations for Preconditioning Home-Raised Beef Calves,” Oklahoma State University Extension
- “Effects of Preconditioning on Health Performance and Prices of Weaned Calves,” Oklahoma State University Extension
- “Management Strategies to Reduce Stress at Weaning and Improve Calf Performance,” University of Nebraska
- “Weaning Management of Beef Calves,” Oregon State University Extension
- John Richeson, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Animal Science, West Texas A&M University
- John Gilliam, DVM, Oklahoma State University