April 7, 2020
Managing Eastern Bluebirds
Noble Research Institute, Entry 2
Protected Ag Demo Area
2510 Sam Noble Parkway
Ardmore, OK 73401
Directions: Turn south into Entrance 2 on the Noble Research Institute campus and travel 0.55 mile south on the initially paved and then gravel driveway to an open-sided barn along the west side of the driveway.
4:30 pm - 7:30 pm
$25 registration fee, includes materials needed to build and take home a bluebird nesting box. Registration fee goes up to $35 for those who register within one week of the event.
You’ll now need to sign up for events through your new Noble account. By clicking “register,” you will automatically be prompted to create your free account. You can also use this account to tell us more about your interests and communication preferences.
Learn more about creating your Noble Account.
Level: General Public
Eastern bluebirds are among the most beautiful songbirds, which were declining up until the point that people began providing nest boxes for them. Come learn about eastern bluebirds, and other cavity-nesting songbirds, and how to build, place and manage their nest boxes. During this course, you will build a nest box that you can take home. You should also have the opportunity to view actual bluebird nesting activity in nest boxes.
What You Will Learn:
- Eastern bluebird ecology
- Other bird species that use similar nesting habitat
- How to construct an eastern bluebird nesting box
- How to place and manage a bluebird nesting box
- The importance of predator management
- Identification of different types of bird nests
- The nonnative, invasive species that affect bluebird nesting
How You Will Learn:
- In-field discussion
- Hands-on demonstration
Who Should Attend:
- Landowners and members of the public who are interested in learning about eastern bluebirds and other cavity-nesting songbirds
What You Should Bring:
- Outdoor weather-appropriate attire
- Phillips screwdriver or electric screwdriver (if you have one, otherwise we will provide one)
- Understanding Backyard Agriculture
- So You Want to Grow Specialty Crops
- Managing Your Pond for Recreation
- Building A Better Hoop House
- Learning About the Snakes of Oklahoma