October 27, 2020
Canceled: Building A Better Hoop House
CANCELED: In response to the COVID-19 situation, Noble Research Institute has canceled this event.
Hoop houses, also known as high tunnels, continue to be market gardeners’ tool of choice when managing weather-related production risks. Some growers purchase prefabricated hoop house kits and pay extra to have them erected, while others elect to build the structures themselves. Still other growers fabricate and construct their own structures.
This workshop is designed to introduce the novice grower/hoop house builder to the various tools and techniques used in constructing a wide range of hoop houses models, including prefabricated kit houses and home-built structures.
What You Will Learn:
- Various types of construction materials available for hoop house construction
- The importance of proper site selection and preparation for hoop house construction
- How to lay out the perimeter for a hoop house to ensure a square structure
- Various techniques used to install ground posts
- The pros and cons of the different cladding options available for use on hoop houses
- How to select and use various types of hardware and fasteners for hoop house construction
- Tools and equipment required for hoop house construction
How You Will Learn:
- Hands-on demonstration, weather permitting
- Classroom discussion
Who Should Attend:
- Growers new to building hoop houses
What You Should Bring:
- Weather appropriate, outdoor attire