1. Blog
  2. A Noble Journey

Arriving in Uganda

  Estimated read time:

Posted Jun. 2, 2015

I arrived in Uganda just a few days ago and already a lot has happened. It took me an extra day to get to Uganda because of weather problems when flying into Atlanta. The plane wasn't able to land, which resulted in me missing both of my connecting flights. When I went to rebook my flights the earliest flight they could get me on was the following afternoon, so I spent the night in Atlanta. An unexpected perk of this delay was that they gave me a first class ticket on my first connecting flight out of Atlanta the next day. This was my first time in first class so it was pretty exciting.

I finally arrived in Entebbe late the following day (Thursday) but my suitcases didn't. The people at the airport were able to track them down but I didn't receive them until two days after arriving. Thankfully I was able to borrow some clothes for the first couple of days and everything worked out fine.

heavy rainstorm
Heavy rainstorm on the way to the farm

The next day, I went out to visit Watoto's vegetable farm, which is just one of Watoto's three farms. On the way we were caught in an extremely heavy rainstorm. It was so heavy that we had to pull over and wait it out because we weren't able to see the road to drive. After the rain stopped we finally made it to the Farm. Most of the day was spent repairing two of tractors that had some parts that needed to be replaced. Steve showed me what was being grown and took me to the reservoir to check and see how the water levels were after such a heavy rain. For lunch I was offered a local meal, which was very exciting for me since it was my first day in the country. The meal consisted of rice and something called Chapati, a delicious flat piece of bread similar to a tortilla or pita.

working on the farm

The next day we went to look at the goat and dairy farm, another of Watoto's three farms. Here I got to see how the dairy farm worked to supply the babies at Watoto with the milk they need.

After visiting the dairy farm I was taken to the hotel where I am staying while I'm here. My suitcases arrived as well and now I am finally getting settled in, preparing for the next couple of months here in Uganda.

About the Author

Hilary Gibson is a 2015 Noble-Watoto Fellow working at Watoto Child Care Ministries in Uganda. Gibson is from Shawnee, Oklahoma, and has one more semester left in the master of international agriculture program at Oklahoma State University, where she focuses on trade and ethics.

Hilary Gibson
2015 Noble-Watoto Fellow